Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Guitar Teacher's Gab


FIRST CLASSES

  I thought we had a pretty good start to our newest classes on Monday { July 8 }.  We had several new students and some returning ones.  A total of about 20 students in two classesAbout fifteen {15} in the Beginners class and five {5} in the Intermediate class.  I went over basics such as tuning and how to finger notes on the fretboard, and first chords { G, C & D } with the Beginners, and we looked atHow to Transpose Notes & Keys  and picking out a tune called Bass Boogie Blues  in the Intermediate class. 

 I'm beginning to see what I feel is some really good progress with the Intermediate students.  I think it's always a "leap of faith" to say { even with my encouragement }  "Yes, I can do this. I'm ready to progress farther."  Just the very acknowledgment of that step is to me a great big encouragement.  We're going to practice really hard for the next couple of weeks, and then I plan for the Intermediate students to come visit the Beginners class and both perform for them and mentor them.  I hope they will be an encouragement to those who are not yet ready to fully believe in themselves.

  I realize that playing the guitar involves some physical realities { having flexibility and strength, etc. },but I believe it also encompasses a lot of mental and emotional things as well { belief, determination, perseverance.. just to name a few}.  There are so many little "baby steps" between walking in as aBrand New Beginner on the guitar, and advancing to the realm of enjoyment and expertise.  There is definitely a learning curve, but also a very large emotional growth as well.  Often, it's hard to discern { as a teacher, and also by the students themselves} these steps as they are occurring.  And oftentimes it's tempting, if you don't actually recognize the small steps of progress you're making, to just give up and quit.  It's DEFINITELY a lot easier.  But in the long run, at some point, we will second-guess ourselves.. and have to admit that we gave in-- probably right before our breakthrough.

 I'm looking forward to what the next two months bring in the way of teaching and developing my guitar students.  Hopefully, some of them will emerge, if not as skillful players, at least as ones that believe that one day, with some time and effort, becoming a better guitarist is within their reach.
"Practicing is a story.  Sitting down with your instrument, you imagine yourself into the future, better than you are now, having passed through a limbo of work that changes you... each day's small step adds up to a journey.  As long as you keep practicing, almost any goal seems attainable, a matter of time and effort."
[Glenn KurtzPracticing, p. 196]

No comments:

Post a Comment